Follow these tips for healthy bones!
- Smoking Harms Bones. By Quitting smoking you can improve the quality of your bones and your overall health.
- The formula for Stronger Bones: Get the Recommended C (Calcium) + D (Vitamin D) + E (Exercise)
- Know Your Osteoporosis Risk Factors
o Older Age
o Female gender (but men get it too!)
o Too little calcium or vitamin D
o Not enough physical activity
o Certain diseases and/or medications
- Height loss of more then 1 ½ inch indicates that you may have osteoporosis! Speak to your healthcare provider for more information.
- Take safety precautions to prevent falls and prevent broken bones!
- Exercise safely and stay physically active for stronger boness
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables for stronger bones.
- You are never too young or too old to take actions to promote stronger bones!
- Building strong bones during childhood and adolescence can help to prevent osteoporosis later in life.
Take these steps to promote strong bones for life!
o Eat a variety of healthy (nutrient-rich) foods every day with plenty of fruits and vegetables
o Get the calcium and vitamin D you need every day
o Be physically active.
o Don’t smoke
o Limit Alcohol
-Jeri Wanzor Nieves, PhD
Associate Professor of Clinical Epidemiology and Nutrition
Director, New York State Osteoporosis Prevention and Education Program
Clinical Research Center