A Personal Approach to Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation
Spinal cord injury affects a person’s total way of life, which is why it is vital to offer a broad range of services to address a patient’s full spectrum of needs. The comprehensive Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Program in New York cares for the patient throughout the continuum, from intensive inpatient rehabilitation through outpatient therapy, ongoing medical care, wellness and sports programs and opportunities to participate in clinical research. Our philosophy is to let the patient be our guide, helping our skilled specialists design an individualized treatment plan to meet the patient’s specific needs and goals, while preventing future complications from SCI.
Each patient receives spinal cord injury treatment from an interdisciplinary rehabilitation team under the direction of a board certified physiatrist with a specialty in spinal cord injury. Working collaboratively toward the patient’s goals, the team consists of physical, occupational and speech therapists, rehabilitation nurses, case managers, psychologists, dieticians and other committed professionals. The team encourages a patient’s family and caregivers to participate in the rehabilitation process through frequent visits and patient/family education and conferences.
SCI Rehabilitation Program Admissions
Individuals who have sustained a complete or incomplete spinal cord injury due to trauma, acts of violence, tumors, sports injuries, spinal stenosis, compression fractures and transverse myelitis are all candidates for inpatient rehabilitation. The Spinal Cord Injury Treatment Program also treats patients with Guillain-Barre Syndrome, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS /Lou Gehrig’s Disease) and peripheral nervous system disorders, as well as myopathies and muscular dystrophies. Located in New York’s Hudson Valley, the program not only serves patients from throughout the New York Metropolitan region, New Jersey and Connecticut, but also attracts patients from across the country.
Customized Spinal Cord Injury Treatment Plan
The strength of the HHH Spinal Cord Injury Treatment Program is its capacity to address all of the complex effects of spinal cord injury, including paraplegia and quadriplegia, respiratory disorders, bowel and bladder dysfunction, skin care and wounds and spasticity, as well as emotional and psychological issues related to adjustment to a new way of life. SCI patients are admitted directly into our specially designed and equipped spinal cord injury unit, which offers round-the-clock monitoring and the capability to care for patients with feeding tubes and ventilators. The acute rehabilitation program provides a full spectrum of services, along with access to highly specialized care and state-of-the-art equipment and technology.
- Dedicated 24-bed SCI Unit and therapy gym
- Patient rooms with internet access & environmental controls to maximize patient independence
- Medical leadership and care provided by a board certified physiatrist with specialty in SCI Medicine
- Medical consultation services including cardiology, urology, pulmonology, ENT, orthopedics, pain management
- 24/7 on-site physician/physician extender care
- Certified Rehabilitation Nursing
- Physical Therapy to restore functional mobility & strength
- Occupational Therapy to restore the performance of activities of daily living
- Speech Language Therapy including Dysphagia/swallowing therapy, Videoflourscopy, FEES, VitalStim Therapy/E-Stim, speech-breathing/voice therapy with use of Passy-Muir Speaking Valve for patients with tracheostomy tubes and/or on mechanical ventilation
- State-of-the-art therapeutic equipment including: ReWalk, Vibration Therapy, Bioness, upper extremity FES, RTS 300 FES cycle, Armeo
- Services of the Center for Rehabilitation Technology (CRT)
- Body weight supported treadmill training
- Recreational Therapy Services & Adaptive Sports
- Ventilator weaning & management/tracheostomy care/Respiratory Therapy
- In-house Orthotics department including WalkAide
- Psychiatry & Psychology Services
- Smart Apartment/Activities of Daily Living training
- Vocational Rehabilitation Services
- Peer Mentoring
- Aquatic Therapy
- Nutrition Education
- Overnight transitional living apartment
- Sexual Counseling
- Case Management & Discharge Planning
- Spinal Cord Injury Support Group
- Adapted Sports & Recreation Program
- Driver Evaluation & Training
- Patient & Family Education/ in-house SCI education TV Channel
- Dormitory room accommodations available for patient guests*
*For family and friends traveling long distances who wish to visit with our patients with spinal cord injury, the hospital makes dormitory rooms available for overnight stays. This also allows loved ones to fully participate in the rehabilitation process, become educated as to the patient’s needs, while offering comfort and support.
Following inpatient rehabilitation, SCI patients may benefit from HHH’s full continuum of care, including:
- Outpatient Physical Therapy & Occupational Therapy
- Peer Mentoring
- SCI Support Group
- Adapted Sports & Recreation
- Center for Rehabilitation Technology / Smart Apartment
- Aquatic (warm water pool) Therapy
- Driver Evaluation & Training
- Osteoporosis Center
- Prosthetic & Orthotic Center
- Wellness Center
Helen Hayes Hospital is home to the Hudson Valley Chapter of United Spinal, a peer advocacy program: Click to learn more
The Helen Hayes Hospital Spinal Cord Injury Injury Rehabilitation Program is JCAHO and CARF Accredited.
For comprehensive educational materials on SCI, please click here.
Think First Program
The Think First program is a nation-wide initiative focused on brain and spinal cord injury prevention. Offered through the hospital’s physical therapy department, therapists and former patients visit with students at local schools, from kindergarten through college age. During the presentation, they discuss safety precautions and injury prevention techniques and the medical consequences of injury. Former patients living with SCI share their personal experiences with the students. Find out more.
For more information, please contact the Helen Hayes Admission Referral Center:
1-888-70-REHAB ext. 4535
To schedule a guided tour, call 845-786-4233
Spinal Cord Injury Program Scope of Services Spinal Cord Injury Program Disclosure 2014
For more information on Spinal Cord Injuries visit:
American Spinal Cord Injury Association: www.asia-spinalinjury.org
Academy of Spinal Cord Injury Professionals: www.academyscipro.org
Paralyzed Veterans of America: www.pva.org
International Spinal Cord Society: www.iscos.org.uk
Care Cure Community: www.CareCure.org
United Spinal: www.unitedspinal.org
Facing Disability: www.facingdisability.com