Out of an abundance of caution, effective, Thursday, November 19th, 2020, Helen Hayes Hospital will be prohibiting visitors to the Hospital until further notice. We understand how this restriction may affect our patients and their families, but believe that these actions are necessary to ensure the safety of our patient population as COVID-19 infection rates rise within our surrounding area.
Our intention is to remain COVID-19 free so our patients can recover. Restricting visitation at this time will significantly reduce the chances of the COVID-19 virus being introduced into the Hospital.
The Hospital will continue to monitor the situation and follow guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the New York State Department of Health. Patients will be notified as soon as the restriction on visitors is lifted.
Patient safety is our number one priority at this time. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding as we enact these safety precautions.
Helen Hayes Hospital is pleased to announce the resumption of outpatient physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy services at the hospital. As our patients resume their eagerly anticipated rehabilitation programs, the hospital has put in place a comprehensive COVID-19 prevention plan to ensure the highest level of safety for our patients working toward their important rehab goals.
We ask that all individuals receiving outpatient therapy at Helen Hayes Hospital kindly refer to the following guidelines regarding their upcoming visit:
- In accordance with New York State guidelines, patients who have traveled out of state within the past 14 days, who have not tested out of quarantine, will be asked to postpone their appointments. For more information on NYS quarantine and test-out guidelines, please visit https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory.
- All outpatients will receive a pre-visit health screening over the telephone. Sick patients will be asked to reschedule their appointments for a time when they are well.
- Pre-registration will be completed over the telephone prior to the scheduled appointment. If needed, insurance cards and/or payment will be collected from the patient in the treatment room at the time of the appointment.
- Patients are asked to arrive 15 minutes prior to their appointment and call the number they were given at the time of appointment to check in. Once checked in, they will remain in their cars until they receive a phone call from their therapist. The therapist will instruct the patient to proceed to the main entrance of the hospital (south entrance), where they will be escorted inside. Patients will then participate in a question and answer health screening and a temperature check before being escorted to their therapy location. Any patient needing assistance from their car should indicate their needs to their therapist.
- At the completion of the therapy session, the therapist will escort the patient back to the hospital entrance.
- Patients must arrive at the hospital wearing a mask or other appropriate face covering and must remain masked for the duration of their time at the hospital.
- Entrance to the hospital will be for patients with appointments only; no one else will be permitted to enter with the patient.
In addition to these guidelines, Helen Hayes Hospital has taken the following precautions to adhere to social distancing and sanitization guidelines:
- Therapy rooms have been reconfigured to ensure social distancing is maintained at all times. Appointments have also been staggered to limit traffic in therapy areas.
- Therapy equipment and therapy areas are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized daily and between each appointment. The amount of time between appointments has been extended to allow for enhanced sanitizing.
- Hand sanitizer will be available for all patients in treatment areas.
- All hospital staff are subject to mandatory screening, including temperature screening upon admission to the hospital.
- All hospital staff are required to mask in patient therapy areas and follow frequent hand washing/sanitizing protocol.
- All on-campus events, including support groups, student programs, clinical rotations, wellness programs, and on-campus sports events remain cancelled until further notice.
Thank you for your attention to and cooperation with these guidelines. We look forward to welcoming our visitors and outpatients back to the hospital!