Myriad Of Complementary & Alternative Medicine Options Offered At Helen Hayes Hospital In West Haverstraw, NyOctober 19, 2015
Nearly 40% of adults in the United States report using complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). In response to this demand, Helen Hayes Hospital in West Haverstraw, NY offers a wide array of CAM options to support the hospital’s physical rehabilitation patients, as well as community members, in their efforts to achieve the best life possible.
Beginning with the offering of yoga instruction for individuals with disabilities and medical conditions, the hospital’s Recreational Therapy Department has expanded CAM options over the years to also include Ai Chi, acupuncture, meditation instruction, massage and Reiki therapy. With a physician’s clearance, these therapies are all available to HHH inpatients and outpatients, and may be continued following discharge. CAM offerings are also offered to community members of all abilities.
- Yoga: Yoga classes at HHH are available to both patients and community members, and can be adapted for individuals of all abilities. Yoga can improve circulation, range of motion, flexibility and endurance, as well as help reduce stress and lower blood pressure. Taught by an experienced yoga instructor. More info: 845-786-4934
- Ai Chi: Offered to patients in the hospital’s warm water therapy pool, Ai Chi is a therapy made up of gentle motions designed to improve balance, posture and relaxation, both in the water and out. The therapy also has cardiac benefits such as increasing breath control and strengthening the respiratory muscles. More info: 845-786-4457
- Acupuncture: Provided to patients and community members by a New York state licensed acupuncturist, this treatment uses sterile thin needles that are inserted into acupuncture points in the skin. Acupuncture aims to activate inhibitory receptors to decrease an individual’s perception of pain. More info: 845-675-7826
- Massage/Reiki: Massage and Reiki is available to patients and community members from a NYS licensed massage therapist and level 1 Reiki Master who has additional certifications in medical massage, Swedish massage and therapeutic and relaxation touch. These treatments aim to increase muscle tone and blood flood, decrease swelling and pain and promote relaxation. More info: 845-642-2036
- Meditation: Available to both patients and community members, guided meditation classes help to increase mindfulness and awareness, while decreasing pain and anxiety in participants. The Meditation Program at HHH is led by a licensed mental health counselor with experience in meditation and yoga instruction. More info: 845-786-4158
In addition to these treatment options, the hospital also provides patients with access to the C.A.R.E. Channel on channel 60 in all hospital rooms and in the hospital atrium. The C.A.R.E. Channel provides 24 hours of programing designed for patients to promote relaxation, improve restlessness, reduce anxiety, and enhance pain management protocols, support and comfort during a 24 hour cycle.
For more information on complementary and alternative medicine offered at HHH, including dates, locations, and fees for community classes, please use the contact numbers above or call the HHH Public Relations Department at 845-786-4225.