A Personal Approach to Neurological Rehab
At Helen Hayes Hospital’s Neurological Rehabilitation Program, patients benefit from a full range of neurorehabilitation services dedicated to enabling them to achieve the highest level of independence possible. Our philosophy is to let the patient be our guide, helping our skilled specialists design an individualized treatment plan to meet the patient’s specific needs and goals.
Each patient receives treatment from a multidisciplinary neuro rehab team under the direction of a board-certified physician specializing in neurological rehabilitation. Working collaboratively toward the patient’s goals, the team consists of physical, occupational and speech therapists, rehabilitation nurses, case managers, dieticians, and other committed professionals. The team encourages a patient’s family to participate in the rehabilitation process through frequent visits and patient/family conferences.
Patients come to our Neurological Rehabilitation Program for treatment and assistance in managing disorders associated with Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), and other conditions. Typically, they have difficulty with functions such as walking, communicating, and eating and may have bowel and bladder problems and pain.
Located in New York’s Hudson Valley, the program not only serves patients from throughout the New York Metropolitan region, New Jersey, and Connecticut, but also attracts patients from across the country.
Customized Treatment Plan
The goals of the neuro rehab program are tailored to the patient’s condition and needs. Individual goals may include independence in self-care at home or returning to work.
Patients with Multiple Sclerosis have access to the latest immunotherapies and innovative approaches to symptom control. The hospital retains an affiliation with the Southern New York Chapter of the MS Society.
Patients with ALS or Parkinson’s Disease will receive intensive treatments to alleviate symptoms of the disease, including difficulties with balance and stiffness, gait, posture, swallowing, and cognition. Medication regimens can be adjusted to achieve maximum benefit.
Many patients benefit from a comprehensive spasticity program. Evaluations for intrathecal baclofen pumps, as well as pump refilling and adjustment, is also provided.
Specialized Care Services
At Helen Hayes Hospital, we provide a full spectrum of neurorehabilitation services to restore confidence and help the patient resume full living, including:
- Physical Therapy to restore strength, balance & endurance
- Occupational therapy to restore the activities of daily living
- Speech Language Therapy
- Dysphagia (swallow) Therapy and Modified Barium Swallow Studies (Videoflouroscopy)
- Cognitive Therapy
- Rehabilitative Nursing
- Urodynamic testing
- Ventilator weaning & management/Respiratory Therapy
- Psychiatry & Psychology Services
- Orthopedic/Orthotic Services on-site
- State of the art therapeutic equipment including Bioness, Saeboflex, Gait Training, VitalStim, and FEES
- Services of the Center for Rehabilitation Technology
- Medication Evaluation & Optimization
- Osteoporosis Evaluation (bone density testing)
- Nutrition Education
- Patient & Family Education
- Recreational Therapy Services
- Aquatic Therapy
- Vocational Rehabilitation Services
- Driver Evaluation & Training
- Case Management & Discharge Planning
- Neuropsychological Testing
- Pain Management
"I was treated with respect and dignity and attention was paid to all aspects of my physical and emotional needs. You gave me the gift of your trust in my ability to regain total independence. You gave me a new lease on life."
For more information, please contact the
Helen Hayes Hospital Admission Referral Center:
1-888-70-REHAB ext. 4535
To schedule a guided tour,