The Outpatient Speech Language Pathology Service provides a full range of speech language therapy services, all aimed at improving a patient’s communication, cognitive, and linguistic skills and swallowing abilities. A speech language pathologist licensed by New York State and certified by the American Speech-Language Hearing Association conducts a thorough diagnostic evaluation and develops an appropriate treatment plan, incorporating patient/family education components, speech therapy exercises, and necessary follow-up services. The program can help individuals who are tracheostomy or ventilator dependent, present with language delays or speech disorders, or who have swallowing disorders.
Comprehensive Diagnostic & Treatment Options
- Dysphagia (swallowing) evaluation & treatment utilizing Vital Stim, Deep Pharyngeal Neuromuscular Stimulation and other techniques
- Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES)
- Videofluoroscopy Services: a specialized modified barium swallow study, followed by the identification and implementation of compensatory swallowing strategies and diet recommendations
- Voice therapy to remediate disorders in vocal quality, volume, prosody and resonance
- Language therapy to improve comprehension and expression
- Speaking valves and care for tracheostomy patients
- Cognitive retraining
- Parkinson’s Disease Therapy (utilizing LSVT Loud)
Patients may also benefit from augmentative and assistive communication evaluations and devices.
For additional information on speech language therapy for children, please click here to view our Pediatric Rehabilitation page.
Schedule An Appointment
The Outpatient Speech Language Pathology service accepts referrals from physicians and other healthcare professionals. Located in New York’s Hudson Valley, we are convenient to New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut.
For additional information, or to make an appointment, call: 845-786-4194.
Helen Hayes Hospital is JCAHO and CARF Accredited.
"You gave me the help I needed to recover and rebuild my confidence in myself to handle the challenges I’m about to embark on for the rest of my life."
For more information, please contact
Helen Hayes Hospital Outpatient Scheduling:
1-888-70-REHAB ext. 4194