A Personal Approach to Amputee Rehab
At Helen Hayes Hospital’s Amputee Rehabilitation Program, patients benefit from a full range of rehabilitative services that are dedicated to enabling them to resume active, independent lives following an amputation. Our philosophy is to let the patient be our guide, helping our skilled specialists design an individualized treatment plan to meet the patient’s specific needs and goals.
Each patient receives treatment from a multidisciplinary rehabilitation team under the direction of a board certified physician specializing in amputee rehabilitation. Working collaboratively toward the patient’s goals, the team consists of physical and occupational therapists, rehabilitation nurses, case managers, dietitians, and other committed professionals. The team encourages a patient’s family to participate in the rehabilitation process through frequent visits and patient/family conferences. Additionally, our on-site Prosthetic Center is staffed by experienced technicians who provide patients with prosthetic and orthotic evaluations, fabrication, and follow-up care.
This service specializes in helping patients with amputation due to trauma, diabetes, or other medical conditions. Limb loss may include above knee amputations, below knee amputations, upper extremity amputations, and double amputations. Located in New York’s Hudson Valley, the program not only serves patients from throughout the New York Metropolitan region, New Jersey, and Connecticut, but also attracts patients from across the country.
Customized Treatment Plan
The strength of our program is twofold: being able to manage medically fragile patients, particularly those with complex needs, and providing their medical and rehabilitation care simultaneously in order to maximize recovery. Specific goals are tailored to each patient’s individual needs: to build endurance, stamina and strength; to encourage independence at home; to increase mobility. Patients have access to an on-site comprehensive Prosthetic Orthotic Center, which fabricates artificial limbs and other orthotic devices.
We provide a full spectrum of services to restore confidence and help the patient resume full living following amputation, including:
- Physical Therapy to restore functional mobility & strength
- Occupational Therapy to restore the performance of activities of daily living
- Rehabilitative Nursing
- Services of on-site Prosthetic Orthotic Center (ABC Certified)
- Psychiatry & Psychology Services
- Services of the Center for Rehabilitation Technology (CRT)
- Medication Evaluation & Optimization
- Nutrition Education
- Patient & Family Education
- Recreational Therapy Services
- Aquatic Therapy
- Driver Evaluation & Training
- Adapted Sports & Recreation
- Case Management & Discharge Planning
- Follow-up care via Outpatient Rehabilitation & Wellness Center
- Amputee Support Group meets monthly